You know those times when you are running low on flour or sugar but still want to make cookies? Or those times when you are having people over and want to make a larger batch than the recipe normally yields?
Not a problem, the Drop Recipes app has you covered and offers both scaling by ingredient weight and by number of servings.
Sorry, Android users, this feature is on its way!
Scale by ingredient weight
To scale the recipe by what you have available of an ingredient, just go to the Prepare section of the recipe and tap on the ingredient you want to adjust the recipe by.
In this example, we only have 3 ounces of plain flour, but the recipe calls for 7.70 ounces:
- Tap on the ingredient card of the ingredient you want to adjust the recipe by
- Tap the Weigh icon
- Place a bowl on Drop Scale and then tap Zero to tare
- Pour the ingredient into the bowl and then tap the Resize button
- Watch all ingredients in the recipe update accordingly
Note: This method works just as well if you want to use more of an ingredient than the recipe calls for.
Scale by number of servings
To scale by servings instead, follow these simple directions from the Prepare section of a recipe:
- Tap the Servings text in the very bottom of the screen, right next to Copy List
- Reduce or increase the number of servings by using the Halve, Minus, Plus, and Double buttons (the maximum servings are 51)
- Tap Done and watch all the ingredients update accordingly